Sunday, July 24, 2016

Thumbing a nose at humanity

A couple of days ago, I ran across this article regarding a proposed fashion project:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/alexander-mcqueen-being-turned-leather-180959837/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&no-ist

Am I the only one who finds this project just wrong on a very fundamental level?  What makes her any different then say a serial killer who wears the skin of their victim?  Or the Nazis and all of their macabre and evil experiments?

I believe that fashion plays a large role in how we non-verbally communicate with the world about who we are as a person.  This, to me, denies the very humanity at the core of fashion.  It becomes especially distasteful if you consider that Alexander McQueen died of suicide after a deeply unhappy life in which he struggled with the mental illness of depression.  That's right.  She wants to capitalize on something that is only available because a man was tortured to death by his own inner demons.

So, obviously, this is a topic that deserves scrutiny.  Consideration of it asks you to look deep within yourself and ask some serious questions about the fundamentals of humanity.  Please, comment below.  I am anxious to know if I am alone in my revulsion.

No comments:

Post a Comment